RSS Feed

Category Archives: Sewing

Living Room Makeover

After four days, I finally completed all the envelope pillow covers for the start of my living room makeover.

envelope pillow covers

After

This was the sofa before! Elegant Upholstery did the sofas and I completed the new look with the pillows.

Sofa Before

Sofa Before

Coordinating the fabrics was one of the best parts.

Swatches

Swatches

This is such an easy project and much cheaper than buying pillows. I used the tutorial here.

So simple to make

So simple to make

The great thing is they can be removed for easy dry cleaning or switching out for the seasons.

envelope pillow covers

Removable for easy dry cleaning

And now I have a fun, colorful living room!

Advertisements

Removable Pillow Cover Project

I finally got around to making some pillows for our reupholstered sofas. The sofas were hand-me-downs with excellent frames so I was thrilled to get them. The pillows were also of excellent quality (holding their shape well and not going  flat) but the outer cover was very worn and dated. I found this upholstery fabric at Joann’s for $7.20 a yard (reg. around $29-39/yard). I loved all the bright colors that I could coordinate with the neutral (aka boring) sofa colors. I purposely picked neutral colors for the sofas with the intention of bringing in colors with pillows and drapes.

Here is one of the completed pillows:

Removable Pillow Cover

Removable Pillow Cover

Removable Pillow Cover Back

Back of Pillow

When I removed the cover of the old pillows, this is what was inside:

Pillow FillingI made a cover with utility fabric purchased for about $3.20 a yard, much cheaper than buying a new pillow form which the cheapest in this size was about $12.99. This pillow, I know will hold its shape.

Pillow FormNow with the filling covered, it will be much easier to remove the pillow cover for washing as needed.

The pillow size is approximately 23.5″ wide by 27″ tall.  To make the pillow cover, I used two fabrics. A print for the front and solid color for the back. I cut the front down to 25″ by 28″ and also used this size for the utility fabric used to cover the filling. For the back of the pillow I cut two pieces each 15″ by 28″. This is to create the opening in the back to allow the pillow to be removed. The formula used to determine the size of the back pieces is length of short side /2 + 2.5 inches (25/2+2.5). I used this tutorial here to make the pillow. Since I know the pillows will be thrown on the ground and get plenty of use, I sewed with a triple-stitch seam.

This website here was very helpful in determining how many yards to buy.

The good thing about upholstery fabric is it’s very wide so I was able to make two pillows with one yard of print and one yard of solid color. Custom-made pillows for about $10 each? I haven’t seen prices like that anywhere for pillows this size. Two down, about 4 more to go! I’ll be doing solid colors to coordinate with the colors in the print.

Fix Me Sewing Basket

As I was organizing my sewing area I noticed several miscellaneous things that need to be mended (husband’s shirt, daughter’s hair bows, buttons that needed to be reattached etc.). These are things that, if I couldn’t get to right away, ended up being buried beneath all the other stuff that likes to make its way to my area like school work and receipts. Well now I have a cute way to keep them together in one place until I can fix them. I found this little basket on clearance at Pier 1 for a great price so decided to make it my sewing basket for all those little things that are needing to be fixed and any sewing projects that I am currently working on. This sure will come in handy when I start making drapes and pillows in a couple of weeks!

Fix Me Sewing Basket

Fix Me Sewing Basket

50th Day of School (50s Clothes)

Today was the 50th Day of School so, as is customary, the kids got to wear 50s attire. Naturally, my little one wanted to wear her poodle skirt. That made me very happy because I made it! I made it last spring with the help of a tutorial I found online. The tutorial is very easy to follow (link below). My daughter has worn her skirt to a sock-hop and two 50th Day of School celebrations. Since she is growing like a weed, and obviously loves to wear it, I will need to make a new one soon!

50th Day School

Poodle Skirt with Sewn-On Applique

Poodle Skirt with Sewn-On Applique

Poodle Skirt with Sewn-On Applique

Poodle Skirt with Sewn-On Applique

(Tutorial here)

My Costume is Done!

I finished my Halloween costume (Jessica Rabbit)! I found a dress at the consignment and knew I could make it work.  Because it was a size too big to begin with, and then with me slimming down while getting in “Halloween shape”, I had to take it in some. I also added some bust support and a slit along the front. Now it’s the form-fitting dress I need! So excited to have this complete. Last year I ran out of time and my costume ended up being rushed. This year I have the costume and most of the decorating done so I can focus the rest of my time on baking and getting dolled up 🙂 So with a little bit of sewing work,  I have a costume tailored to my size and cheaper than buying at the store.  I’ll have to do one more fitting before the party but it’ll be a quick fix if I need to take it in some more.  I even found the purple satin gloves with little effort at a store called “Wax” (a combination of Claire’s and Charming Charlies).

Before: Shapeless and blah

Before: Shapeless and blah

After: More form-fitting

After: More form-fitting

 

%d bloggers like this: